This is not one of my own recipes. I've got to give credit to Southern Living for this one. But make these--they take all of about ten minutes to make. And they yield 3-4 dozen, so there's enough for you to take some to your girlfriends and your co-workers!
You will need:
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of cocoa
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 1/2 cups of uncooked oats
- 3/4 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 2 tsp. of vanilla extract
1. Combine sugar, cocoa, butter, and milk in a saucepan; stir well. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil; boil 1 minute.
2. Remove from heat. Stir in oats, peanut butter, and vanilla.
3. Drop dough by spoonfulls onto lightly-greased wax paper. Let cool completely.
I know what my friends are thinking: "Isn't your husband deathly allergic to peanuts?"
Yes, yes he is. And I thought he wasn't going to be home until 8:00 PM at the earliest. The toddler and I were both licking peanut butter off of spoons and basking in the fact that the entire house smelled like peanut butter right as my husband walked through the door at 6:40.
Needless to say, to the toddler's extreme delight, there was much lighting of candles, opening of windows, spraying of Lysol, and turning on of ceiling fans. :)