You will need:
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 4 Braeburn apples
- 1 tsp. of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of firmly-packed dark brown sugar
- 1 package of frozen 9" pie crusts
- 1 egg white
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Peel apples and chop into bite-sized wedges.
3. Put apple slices in a medium-sized bowl. Toss with 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and 1 tsp. of ground cinnamon. Set aside.
4. In a 10" cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat and immediately add brown sugar. Stir for two minutes until thickened. Remove from heat.
5. Set one of the pie crusts in the middle of the sugary/buttery skillet. Yes, you will feel silly doing this because it is smaller than the skillet. Don't worry--trust me.
6. Spoon the apple mixture into the pie crust.
7. Set the other pie crust on top of the mixture upside down. In other words, mirroring the other pie crust.
8. Whisk egg white and brush onto the top of the pie crust.
9. Sprinkle 2 tbsp. of sugar on top of the pie crust and then cut 5 slits in the top. Yes, it will look ridiculous--but it will taste ridiculously good.
10. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Serve with vanilla ice cream!
Yum, yum, yum. Make this. You will thank me forever. :)